A learning contract is a document that outlines the goals and responsibilities of both the teacher and the student in an educational setting. It serves as a blueprint for a successful learning experience, and is often used in higher education, especially in online and distance learning environments.
In a learning contract, the teacher and the student agree upon specific learning objectives, timelines, and evaluation methods. The contract typically includes the following elements:
1. Learning objectives: This section defines the learning goals and objectives of the student, often including specific skills and knowledge that the student will acquire during the course.
2. Timeline: This outlines the timeline for the completion of the objectives, specifying due dates for each goal or checkpoint. This helps to keep the student on track and ensures that the teacher can monitor progress.
3. Resources and support: This section lists the resources and support that will be provided to the student, such as textbooks, online articles, tutoring, or access to software.
4. Evaluation: This outlines how the student`s performance will be evaluated and graded, including specific criteria and weights for each assignment or project.
5. Responsibilities: This section details the responsibilities of both the teacher and the student, such as attendance, submitting assignments on time, and maintaining communication.
The purpose of a learning contract is to create a collaborative and structured learning environment that puts the student in control of their own learning. By setting specific goals and timelines, the student is able to take ownership of their education, and the teacher is able to focus on providing the necessary support and guidance to ensure success.
Learning contracts are particularly useful in online and distance learning environments, where students may need more structure and guidance than they would in a traditional classroom setting. However, they can also be beneficial in any educational environment, as they help to create a clear and effective learning path for the student.
In conclusion, a learning contract is a powerful tool that can help to promote student-centered learning and improve educational outcomes. By setting clear goals and responsibilities, both the teacher and the student can work together to create a successful and rewarding learning experience.